Have an Avocado Love Affair
While many call the avocado “too fattening,” Maria says the truth of the matter is that this green gem of a fruit provides protein, healthy oils and fats, over 20 vitamins and minerals and complex carbohydrates. Consuming half of an avocado with your meal will not only keep you feeling satisfied long after you eat, it will also help balance your blood-sugar levels.
Avocados boast the following health benefits:
- Glowing skin and hair (when used internally and externally)
- Prevents breast cancer and heart disease
- Contains 23% of your daily recommended dose of folic acid
- Contains more potassium than a banana
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases and hypertension
- High levels of lutein help in the prevention of macular degeneration and cataract
- High in monosaturated fats (the good sexy fats)
- Helps balance blood sugar and promotes weight loss
And now, without further adieu …
Maria’s Fresh Guacamole
4 ripe organic avocados (reserve one pit)
1-1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
1. Slice avocados and remove pits. Save one pit to keep in guacamole.
2. Scoop avocado out into a serving bowl.
3. Add chopped cilantro to avocado and mash with a fork. (The more you mash, the creamier it will get. I sometimes add another half of an avocado before adding the pit the end to get the chunkiness I like.)
4. Squeeze juice of lime into mixture. Add 1-2 pinches of sea salt and stir.
5. Place reserved pit into guacamole (it’s somewhat of an old wives’ tale that this keeps the mixture from turning brown; I simply think it looks cool).
There’s Something About Cilantro …
Maria’s guacamole recipe uses a lot of cilantro (also known as coriander) – an amazing cleansing agent associated with helping to eliminate heavy metals and toxins. Here is a brief list of some other benefits this gorgeously green herb has to offer:
- Reduces nausea
- Aids in menstrual cramping, bloating and even moodiness (ladies: this is a green flag to dig into that gauc!)
- Promotes healthy liver function
- Improves digestion
- Acts as a natural anti-septic and anti-fungal agent to skin conditions such as eczema
- Helps regulate insulin and blood-sugar levels
Try this recipe and tell us what you think! Don’t forget to visit Maria online at mariaviall.com for more nutrition tips and great recipes.